WebLaw – Crime Victim Compensation

WebLaw – Crime Victim Compensation

Crime Victim Compensation

The New York State Office of Victim Services (NYS OVS) provides compensation for innocent victims of a violent crime. Compensation may include medical, pharmacy and counseling expenses, burial or funeral expenses, lost wages or support, medical or court transportation costs, occupational rehabilitation, crime scene clean-up and Good Samaritan property losses.

To request an application for compensation, you may write or telephone the NYS OVS at 1 Columbia Circle, Suite 200, Albany, NY 12203, telephone number 800-247-8035. You may also obtain an application on line at www.ovs.ny.gov. A copy of the police report (free upon request), medical bills, any correspondence with your insurance company, receipts for essential personal property, death certificate and funeral contract, and the victim’s birth certificate should be submitted with the application or soon thereafter. Generally, the victim of the crime must sign the application. However, a legal guardian may sign an application on behalf of an individual who is physically or mentally impaired or under the age of 18 years.

Generally, compensation is not awarded to an individual who lost property because of the crime. However, if the victim is under age 18 or over age 60, or is disabled or injured because of the crime, the NYS OVS may pay for essential property such as eyeglasses, hearing or walking aids, or clothes. Although a lawyer is not necessary to prepare and submit an application, the NY OVS may reimburse a crime victim for attorney fees up to $1,000.

The information provided by the Nassau County Bar Association is not meant to serve as specific legal advice for a particular situation or as a substitute for consultation with a lawyer. If you require the services of a lawyer, you may call the Nassau County Lawyer Referral Service at (516) 747-4832, email referral@nassaubar.org, or go to www.nassaubar.org.

Return to index