Nassau Academy of Law
The Nassau Academy of Law is the educational arm of the Nassau County Bar Association, and has been certified as an accredited provider of continuing legal education by the New York State CLE Board.
All programs sponsored by the NAL have been approved for CLE credit.
CLE REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL ATTORNEYS
- Attorneys will receive certificates of attendance for all seminars
- It is the responsibility of each attorney to maintain records of attendance at CLE seminars to certify compliance as part of their biennial registration
- All Nassau Academy of Law (NAL) courses will satisfy NYMCLE requirements
REQUIREMENTS FOR ATTORNEYS ADMITTED LESS THAN 2 YEARS
- A minimum of 32 Bridge-the-Gap hours are required during the first two years of practice broken down into 7/6/3 for each year – 7 credits in Professional Practice; 6 credits in Skills; 3 credits in Ethics
- Effective January 1, 2016, the NYS CLE Board has adopted the following changes to the current requirement that newly admitted attorneys complete their CLE credits strictly in the traditional live classroom setting or by fully interactive video conference
Professional Practice credit may be completed in any approved format, including Non-participatory formats such as on-demand audio or video, or live broadcast
Ethics credit may be completed in the traditional live classroom setting; by fully interactive videoconference; or by simultaneous transmission with synchronous interactivity; such as web-conference, or teleconference, where questions are allowed during the program
There is no change in the requirement for Skills credit; which must be completed in the traditional live classroom setting or by fully interactive video conference.
Newly admitted attorneys eligible for a pro-rated CLE requirement must complete the credit in a format permissible for the category of credit, except that no more than 14 credits may be earned through non-participatory formats, such as on-demand audio or video, or live broadcast.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ATTORNEYS ADMITTED MORE THAN 2 YEARS
- All attorneys admitted more than two years are required to complete 24 hours of continuing legal education (CLE) every two years and certify compliance as part of biennial registration statement
- 24 credit hours are broken down into 20 credits in Professional Practice and 4 credits in Ethics. For those due to re-register on or after July 1, 2018, one hour of the 24 required must include a course in diversity, inclusion or elimination of bias (CLE §1500.22)
- Six hours may be carried over from one reporting cycle to the next (including Ethics)
- To find out your biennial reporting date, contact the Office of Court Administration, P.O. Box 2806, Church Street Station, New York, NY 10008, tel: 212.428-2800
- Attorneys may fulfill requirements through CD and DVD recordings
REGISTRATION AND ATTENDANCE AT NASSAU ACADEMY OF LAW PROGRAMS
- Register early to guarantee seating. Pre-registration greatly appreciated.
- In continuing efforts to go green, seminar material will be emailed to all registered attendees 24-48 hours before each program. Additionally, the Nassau County Bar Association has free Wi-Fi for those that wish to access the material electronically during the program.
- Written material available upon request.
- Cancellation of registration must be received 24 hours before the seminar for a full refund to original form of payment. Refunds will not be issued after the program.
- Financial assistance, based on need is available. Please contact Jennifer Groh, Director of the Nassau Academy of Law, no later than 1 week before program date to see if you qualify. firstname.lastname@example.org or 516.747.4464
- Academy programs qualify for CLE credit in other states. Contact the CLE Board for the particular jurisdiction.
- Disability accommodations are possible. Please contact Jennifer Groh, Director of the Nassau Academy of Law, no later than 1 week before program date. email@example.com or 516.747.4464
- Per NYS CLE regulations, you must attend a CLE program in its entirety to receive full credit. Sign-in/out sheets are required at every NAL program.
- For upcoming CLE programs, please visit nassaubar.org and click on CLE. You may also register for programs online.
Nassau Academy of Law Staff:
Jennifer C. Groh, Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Patti Anderson, Executive Assistant (email@example.com)
Maureen Hymson, Law Store (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To contact the Academy:
tel: (516) 747-4464
fax: (516) 747-4147