Summer is over and Fall is upon us but unfortunately many of our Nassau residents are still struggling with foreclosure and some are returning to their Sandy distressed homes.
Summer is when we slow down as everyone is trying to find some vacation time to spend with family and friends. However, that has not been the case with the Mortgage Foreclosure Project. Our new Coordinator is Nicole Lubell who has been ready, willing and able to assist homeowners both at clinics and in the courtroom at every Mandatory Conference. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
It should be noted that partial funding for this newsletter has been received from Flushing Savings Bank.
Gale D. Berg
Director of Pro Bono Attorney Activities
Latest News on Mortgage Foreclosure
2017 Changes to Nassau Supreme Court Mandatory Conference procedures:
- Please be aware that there are changes occurring in first time settlement conferences. For more information refer to our May Newsletter
- The Nassau County Bar Association Pro Bono volunteers will help homeowners with completing and/or drafting and filing these answers either in court or at one of our clinics. Additionally, those who have Reverse Mortgages are now part of the Mandatory Conference Requirements. Most Reverse Mortgages are being scheduled for Wednesday afternoons.
- Cases are now being scheduled for “status conferences” that appear on ecourt. They are not Mandatory Conferences requiring their presence.
Wells Fargo Settlements and Fines for Creating Fake Accounts in Customer’s Names
- Customers with proof of damages may receive compensation. However, as of June 15, 2017 Wells Fargo faces lawsuits regarding unauthorized changes to their customers’ mortgage files.
MAP Update – The Mortgage Assistance Program (MAP) has returned. You must speak with a Housing Counselor to determine if you are eligible for these funds. Housing counselors are present at all NCBA Mortgage Clinics.
Deed Theft: STILL HAPPENING!!!!
Always be on the LOOKOUT FOR DEED theft and please report it to us and to the AG’s office! Thank you!
Next Open House For All Issues To Be Held on October 26, 2017
Our next OPEN HOUSE will be on October 26, 2017. Questions concerning matrimonial or family law, labor, bankruptcy and senior issues can be addressed.
Information for Pro Bono Volunteers
CLE Credit Available to NCBA Volunteers:
- The Mortgage Foreclosure Project at NCBA would not be what it is today without the generosity of volunteer attorneys. The attorneys involved in this program are kind enough to put their lives and practices on hold in order to provide much needed advice and guidance to those who are going through a tough time with nowhere to turn. As a small thank you to those who have become involved, we are offering free access to PLI Live, Webcast and On-Demand programs. For more information about how to take advantage, please contact Gale D. Berg at email@example.com or 516-747-4070.
- Additionally, a program at the NCBA is being offered for which our volunteers can apply, on October 16 at 5:30
“Do Good Fences Make Good Neighbors?”
- If you would like more information on volunteer opportunities at NCBA, sign up to receive the latest information by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Nicole Lubell, Settlement Conference Coordinator. Please feel free to forward this newsletter to anyone who you think will be interested or helpful to them or needs this information.
Mortgage Foreclosure SuperStorm Sandy Clinic
Clinics are Mondays
3-5 p.m. and interpreting is provided if noted, when calling to register
*This clinic is Thursday
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1899, the Nassau County Bar Association consists of private and public attorneys, judges, legal educators and law students who demonstrate their commitment to the community. The NCBA Mortgage Foreclosure SuperStorm Sandy Project is one of those commitments. It provides free legal clinics as well as representation at mandatory foreclosure conferences in Supreme Court.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Mortgage Foreclosure Project has a Pro Bono Attorney at ALL Mandatory Court Conferences ready to help if asked. Conferences are held Monday through Wednesday at 9:00 am, and 2:00 pm. On Thursdays, certain Banks are scheduled to appear with their clients. Volunteers are always needed.
At a recent clinic a comment was: “As always, everyone here is super qualified and extraordinarily helpful.”
Another stated, “They are compassionate, professional and offer very good advice. She is an Angel on Earth.”
Look for our new interactive webpages at www.nassaubar.org and press Mortgage Foreclosure on the left column
Nassau County Bar Association
15th & West Streets
Mineola, NY 11501
Funded through the New York State Attorney General Homeownership Protection Program