Mortgage Foreclosure FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions

Can an attorney at the foreclosure clinic represent me in court?

NO, the attorneys at the foreclosure clinic are available to provide free advice to homeowners but cannot be retained as personal or private legal counsel. No attorney at the NCBA clinics should charge you a fee.
Where can I seek permanent representation?
Call the Nassau County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at (516) 747-4832. Professional counselors will provide several references.
How do I avoid fraud or know if I have been a victim of a loan modification scam?
You should never:
  • Be charged a fee in exchange for housing counseling services,
  • Be charged an up-front fee for services related to the modification of a delinquent loan, or
  • Be pressured into signing paperwork you do not understand.
Be on alert if a company or person:
  • Asks for a fee in advance to work with your lender to modify, refinance or reinstate your mortgage.
  • Guarantees they can stop a foreclosure or get your loan modified.
  • Advises you to stop paying your mortgage company and pay them instead.
  • Pressures you to sign over the deed to your home or sign any paperwork that you haven’t had a chance to read or that you don’t fully understand.
  • Claims to offer “government-approved” or “official government” loan modifications.
  • Asks you to release personal financial information online or over the phone.

If you believe you have been a part of a foreclosure scam, report it immediately at and click “Report A Scam!”

This site is provided for general informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal advice and is not intended to be a substitute for legal counsel. Persons requiring legal advice should retain a properly licensed lawyer. No attorney-client relationship will be formed based on use of this site and any comments or posts to this site will not be privileged or confidential.